Track your hiking progress and goals with ease using a hiking mileage tracker. Start logging your adventures today!
Are you an avid hiker looking to track your mileage on the trail? Whether you’re a fitness enthusiast or simply curious about how far you’ve gone, tracking your hiking distance is essential.
Luckily, there are multiple ways to do so – from using GPS devices and smartwatches to measuring distances with maps and strings.
In this article, we’ll explore the various methods of tracking hiking mileage and take a closer look at the best GPS trackers for hiking.
We’ll provide recommendations from popular brands like Garmin and Coros, as well as tips and resources for staying safe on the trail.
So if you’re ready to take your hiking game to the next level, a hiking mileage tracker is a great place to start.
This post contains some affiliate links to products that I use and love. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
In This Article
- There are various ways to track hiking mileage, including using fitness apps, knowing the mileage before going on the trail, using GPS devices, and using maps.
- Garmin and Apple Watch are two popular options for tracking hiking mileage, each with their own pros and cons and data points tracked.
- Knowing hiking mileage is important for progress tracking, but it is not a necessity, and tracking mileage can be a fun way to stay motivated.
- Resources for more information on tracking hiking mileage include PBS America’s Walking, Outdoor Gear Lab, Backpacker Magazine, and the Texas AM AgriLife Extension Service.
What Is A Hiking Mileage Tracker
So, you wanna know what a hiking mileage tracker is? Well, it’s a tool that allows you to track the distance you’ve hiked and keep tabs on your progress along the way.
Whether you’re going for short day hikes or embarking on multi-day backpacking trips, a hiking mileage tracker can help you stay on course and monitor how far you’ve traveled.
Using GPS technology, these trackers can accurately measure the distance of each hike you take. Some models also track elevation gain and loss, which can be helpful when planning future hikes or assessing your fitness level.
With a hiking mileage tracker, you’ll never have to guess how far you’ve gone or rely on estimates from trail signs â€“ instead, you’ll have precise data about every step of your journey.
Benefits Of Using A Mileage Tracker When Hiking
You’ll be amazed at how much progress you can make and how rewarding it can feel to see your accomplishments when you use a tool that helps you keep track of your distance traveled while out on the trail.
A hiking mileage tracker is an essential tool for measuring the distance, elevation gain, and time spent on hikes. By tracking your mileage with a hiking tracker, you can accurately measure your progress and set goals for future hikes.
One of the most significant benefits of using a hiking mileage tracker is that it allows you to monitor your fitness level. By keeping track of the distance and elevation gain during each hike, you can easily see improvements in your endurance over time.
Also keep in mind, tracking your hikes’ distance can help ensure that you don’t exceed your limits or become lost while exploring new trails.
Overall, investing in a reliable hiking mileage tracker provides many benefits and is an excellent tool for anyone looking to improve their health and experience the great outdoors.
How A Hiking Tracker Works
Using a hiking tracker is like having a personal assistant on the trail, keeping track of your progress and providing valuable insights into your fitness level. Whether you’re an experienced hiker or just starting out, using a hiking tracker can help you better understand your body’s capabilities and push yourself to new heights.
Here’s how it works:
- The tracker uses GPS technology to accurately measure the distance you’ve covered during your hike.
- It also records details like elevation gain, so you can see how much climbing you’ve done along the trail.
- Many trackers offer real-time updates on your mileage and pace, allowing you to adjust your route if needed.
By tracking your hikes over time, you can get a sense of how far you’ve come in terms of fitness and endurance.
Overall, using a hiking tracker is an effective way to take control of your outdoor adventures and make the most of every mile on the trail.
Smart Watches, GPS Devices, and Hiking Apps: Which One Is Best
When it comes to tracking your outdoor adventures, deciding between a smartwatch, GPS device, or hiking app can be overwhelming.
Smartwatches like the Garmin Instinct Solar GPS Watch provide real-time data on your location and fitness metrics, while also allowing you to stay connected with friends through messaging and social media apps.
On the other hand, GPS devices like the Garmin inReach Explorer+ offer more advanced features such as satellite messaging capabilities and barometric altimeters for precise elevation readings.
Hiking apps like AllTrails or Gaia GPS are also popular options for tracking hiking mileage. These apps use your phone’s built-in GPS to track your location and can provide detailed trail maps, reviews from other hikers, and even suggestions based on your fitness level.
However, it’s important to note that relying solely on a phone app may not always be reliable if you’re in an area with poor cell service or if your battery dies.
Ultimately, the decision between a smartwatch, GPS device, or hiking app will depend on personal preference and what features are most important for your outdoor adventures.
Our Top Recommendations
In this section, we’ll discuss our top recommendations for each category. Whether you’re looking for a watch that can track your every move or a device with built-in messaging capabilities, we’ve got you covered.
So, lace up those boots and let’s get started!
Best Smarwatches For Hiking
Here are our top smartwatches for hiking, according to the latest technology. All made with the outdoor enthusiast in mind.
- RUGGED DURABILITY: Scratch-resistant sapphire glass and FKM wristbands make this watch even stronger than its predecessor. With MIL-STD-810G premium design, up to 100m water-resistance, it’s built to handle any environment.
- Included components: Garmin Instinct Solar Graphite, Quick Start Guide, USB charging cable
- Keeps track of your energy levels, Pulse Ox (this is not a medical device and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or monitoring of any medical condition), respiration, menstrual cycle, stress, sleep, estimated heart, hydration and more
- Smart watch with Heart Rate Monitor Watch – Health watches for men use high-performance sports optical sensors ,which can monitor heart rate,blood oxygen, helping you better understand your health and making a reasonable adjustment to your lifestyle.Mens smart watches for men android iphone compatible can monitor your sleep status (deep sleep, shallow sleep, awakening) and provide a comprehensive sleep quality analysis to help become healthier.Large face watches for men has 2 strap
- ⌚【EXERCISE THE WAY YOU LIKE】With unique design and stylish appearance, the smart watch is light and cool to wear. Support GPS route tracking and accurate record of the distance, calories, steps you take during the workout. There are 21 sports modes indoors and outdoors to choose , such as running, cycling, skating, walking, etc. Find your favorite sports and let the watch record and witness the movement and help you analyze the effect.
These smartwatches are more than just a timepiece – they also function as a hiking mileage tracker and provide navigation capabilities to make sure you stay on track during your hike.
Here are some reasons why these smartwatches are perfect for hikers:
- They allow you to track distance and time so you can monitor your progress and set goals.
- They have built-in GPS navigation systems that ensure you don’t get lost on the trail.
- They are rugged and durable, able to withstand harsh weather conditions and rough terrain.
- They have long battery lives that won’t leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Whether you’re an experienced hiker or just starting out, having one of these smartwatches on your wrist can make all the difference in ensuring a successful hike. So why not invest in one today?
Best Hiking Apps
If you’re planning a hike and want to make sure you have all the tools you need, don’t forget to consider downloading one of the best hiking apps available on your smartphone.
These apps can help you track your distance, map out your trail, and even locate nearby points of interest.
One popular app is AllTrails, which allows hikers to search for trails based on location, difficulty level, and other factors. The app also includes reviews from other hikers who have completed the trail, giving users a better idea of what to expect. This is the app I use.
Another great option is Gaia GPS, which offers detailed maps that can be used offline in case there is no cell service on the trail. The app also allows users to record their tracks and waypoints while hiking, making it easy to retrace their steps or plan future hikes.
You can also check out the list of hiking apps on Amazon here.
Other features include weather forecasts and real-time location sharing with friends and family members. Whatever app you choose, having a reliable hiking mileage tracker can make all the difference when it comes to staying safe and enjoying your time in nature.
Best GPS Devices
Don’t forget to consider downloading one of these GPS devices for your next hike, as they can help you navigate and stay safe on the trail.
Here are some of the best GPS devices that you can use as a hiking mileage tracker:
- Rugged handheld navigator with preloaded worldwide basemap and 2.2 inch monochrome display
- WAAS enabled GPS receiver with HotFix and GLONASS support for fast positioning and a reliable signal
- Explore confidently with the reliable handheld GPS
- 2.2″ sunlight-readable color display with 240 x 320 display pixels for improved readability
- Rugged and water-resistant design with button operation and a 2. 6” sunlight-readable color display
- Preloaded with Topo Active maps (U. S. and Australia only) featuring routable roads and trails for cycling and hiking
- Large 2.6” sunlight-readable color display for easy viewing
- Expanded global navigation satellite systems (GNSS) and multi-band technology allow you to get optimal accuracy in challenging locations, including steep country, urban canyons and forests with dense trees
- The 2.2” high-resolution display is easy to read, even in bright sunlight
- Get long battery life of up to 168 hours in standard mode and up to 1,800 hours in expedition mode with 2 field-replaceable AA batteries (not included)
These hiking mileage trackers offer different features at various price points, so choose the one that suits your needs best.
With these devices, you’ll never have to worry about getting lost or not knowing how many miles you’ve hiked again.
Mapping Route Before Hike
Mapping the route and elevation before embarking on a hike can be a useful way for hikers to prepare and plan their journey. This method can help backpackers estimate the distance they will cover, the amount of time it will take, and what kind of terrain they will encounter.
Trail planning is crucial for hikers, especially those who are new to backpacking. It ensures that they are aware of any potential hazards and are well-prepared for the challenges that lie ahead.
While mapping the route before a hike is free, it is not as accurate as using smart devices. These devices can provide hikers with real-time data on their location, distance, elevation, and more. On the other hand, mapping can only provide hikers with information on the elevation gain and total mileage.
Despite its limitations, mapping can still be a useful tool for hikers who want to have a general idea of what to expect on their journey. It can also be a way for hikers to document their progress as they travel along the trail.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some alternative methods for tracking hiking mileage besides using a GPS device or smartwatch?
You can track hiking mileage by using a pedometer, counting steps and multiplying the distance of each step. You can also use a map, measure distance with a ruler or string, and calibrate your pedometer in similar terrain.
How can tracking hiking mileage help with fitness goals and progress tracking?
Tracking your hiking mileage can help you set and achieve fitness goals by providing a measurable way to track progress. Knowing how far and fast you hike can also help with planning future hikes and improving overall endurance.
Are there any potential downsides to using a GPS device or smartwatch for hiking mileage tracking?
Using a GPS device or smartwatch for hiking mileage tracking can drain battery life and may not always be reliable in remote areas. It’s important to have backup navigation methods and carry extra batteries.
How do GPS-enabled smartwatches compare to handheld GPS devices for hiking?
GPS-enabled smartwatches and handheld GPS devices both have their advantages for hiking. Smartwatches offer hands-free use, fitness tracking, and convenient access to notifications. Handheld GPS devices, on the other hand, provide a larger display and more reliable navigation systems.
Are there any free or low-cost options for hiking mileage tracking?
Yes, there are several free or low-cost options for tracking hiking mileage. You can use a pedometer, Google Earth’s path function, or a topographical map and ruler/string to measure distance. Calibration is important for accuracy.
Before You Go
Congratulations! You’re now armed with the knowledge and tools necessary to track your hiking mileage like a pro. Whether you choose to use a GPS device, smartwatch, or map and string method, tracking your progress on the trail can help you achieve your fitness goals and stay safe while exploring the great outdoors.
Remember, investing in a high-quality GPS tracker is key to staying informed and prepared during your hikes. With our top recommendations from trusted brands like Garmin and Coros, you can rest assured that you’re getting the best of the best.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your gear, lace up your boots, and hit the trails with confidence knowing that you have all the tools needed to track every step of your journey.